Baked Macaroni with Caramelised Onions
A delicious alternative to the traditional macaroni cheese recipe. Add in some sweet caramelised onions to amplify the flavour.
- 400g Marshalls Macaroni
- 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 250g Cheddar Cheese
- 50g Parmesan
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 500ml Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large pan, heat oil over a medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook without stirring until the onions have released their liquid (this should take about 5 minutes). Make sure the onions don’t brown or burn. Add some sugar to your onions to help with the caramelisation process.
- Leave the onions to cook on a medium low heat for about 30 minutes until they start sticking to the pan and have changed colour into a dark brown. Stir occasionally.
- Whilst the onions are cooking, make the macaroni according to pack instructions, minus 2 minutes of recommended cooking time.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, melt the butter into a saucepan. Once completely melted, add in your 3tbsp’s of flour and stir vigorously. Do this for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk until you get a smooth bechamel sauce. Let this simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in all of your cheeses. Check your onions at this stage. If they are sticking to the bottom of the pan and cooked through, they are ready. Add to your cheese sauce and stir a few times.
- Once pasta is cooked, add to the cheese sauce with the onions.
- Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbly.