Baked Macaroni with Caramelised Onion
A delicious alternative to the traditional macaroni cheese recipe. Add in some sweet caramelised onions to amplify the flavour.
Write a review
- 400g Marshalls Macaroni
- 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 250g Cheddar Cheese
- 50g Parmesan
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 500ml Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large pan, heat oil over a medium heat. Add the sliced onion and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook without stirring until the onions have released their liquid (this should take about 5 minutes). Make sure the onions don't brown or burn.
- Add some sugar to your onions to help with the caramelisation process.
- Leave the onions to cook on a medium low heat for about 30 minutes until they start sticking to the pan and have changed colour into a dark brown. Stir occasionally.
- Whilst the onions are cooking, make the macaroni according to pack instructions, minus 2 minutes of recommended cooking time.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, melt the butter into a saucepan. Once completely melted, add in your 3tbsp's of flour and stir vigorously. Do this for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk until you get a smooth bechamel sauce.
- Let this simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in all of your cheeses.
- Check your onions at this stage. If they are sticking to the bottom of the pan and cooked through, they are ready. Add to your cheese sauce and stir a few times.
- Once pasta is cooked, add to the cheese sauce with the onions.
- Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Marshalls Foods http://www.marshallsfoods.com/